[Noisebridge-discuss] a little bit of info on the excel program, and an idea to move forward

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 22:53:20 UTC 2009

daniela Steinsapir wrote:

>     Comments in line below. A big question I have to all of you:
>
>     If this is a program that kids volunteer to be part of, I'm
>     interested in reaching those kids who don't give it a second thought.
>
>     How do we reach them? My fantasy: we come do a demonstration or a
>     show or something where everyone is included. Then we ask the kids
>     "Who is interested in learning how to do this?". Everyone who raises
>     their hand is sent out (or perhaps sent off with our first teacher).
>     With everyone left we have a discussion, basically trying to figure
>     out what kind of things turn them on, what would they like to learn
>     how to make, or build, or create, or whatever.
>
>     Perhaps video editing? or sound or audio recording? perhaps
>     electronic music? perhaps basic carpentry or model rockets or just
>     smashing computer monitors?
>
>     One of the problems is that in high school it is cool to appear
>     bored by life and disinterested in everything. How do we get around
>     this?
>     /
>     /
>
> / I am not sure about this,   but I think that bonding with them is very
> important,  and  getting them involve in a longer project would work but
> under my point of view you should have the same teacher always there,
> committed to work with them.

Very good point. I tend to agree.

>  I also think that you are not getting anything  done in one class, so
> perhaps  one project for six weeks ( six classes) or two at the most
> should be enough./

Hmm. Could go either way. We've done things with teens in 90 minutes
that they have taken home and been very proud of. But on the other hand
if they have to come back next time to complete the project, it might
encourage them to return, as you say above.

> /
>  The thing about working with afterschool programs with younger ones is
> that they have to go there, because they have no other place to go and
> is mandatory for them if their parents sign them up for it.  With high
> school kids,  is not mandatory to attend the afterschool classes. I
> think that if you get 3 to 5 kids ( coming in on a regular bases for the
> 6 weeks)  is good start/.

Very, very good point. I wonder if different schools have different
rules on this. I'll ask.