[Noisebridge-discuss] New place locator

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Apr 30 19:07:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:31:28AM -0700, aestetix aestetix wrote:
> Despite the whole "evil empire" dogma that seems to follow Google, their

I am probably one of the more vocal "don't give all your data to Google"
proponents at NB, and I try to be very clear that I do not think Google
is evil, nor do I think they've even acted especially badly in general.
(Occasionally they fuck up, just like anybody else.  And they're overly
secretive about a lot of things.  But neither of those is evil.)

That doesn't change the fact that it's a bad idea to become dependent on
any centralized organization, and therefore I choose not to use G
services that exhibit data lock-in.  (And yes, I'm a hypocrite in this
regard, since I do use some such services.  c'est la vie.)

> products are actually pretty useful. As you can plot locations on Google
> Maps with data, etc, why not create a Noisebridge locations map with Google
> Maps? Every time you run across a new place that seems like it would be a
> good fit, add a marker to the map with a reason why. This also helps
> determine how far from the current location the prospective venue might be.
>
> What do you guys think?

I think you should go ahead and do it, and if others find it useful it
may well blossom.  Don't Talk About Doing It, Do It.  (And then tell
the list about what you've done.)

-andy