[Noisebridge-discuss] rSchool plan for this evening.

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 21:50:12 UTC 2009

  Today, we're going to get your Ruby environment set up and
  then try a simple program. What you need for this class:

 .  A laptop computer to type your programs with. If you have
    access to a UNIXalike, such as OS X or Linux, that's great!
    (But not required.)

 .  A text editor that you like. If you aren't used to writing
    programs, please get jEdit -- I will help you set it up.

                                                How to get Ruby.

    For those of you on an open source OS or using MacPorts,
    please use your package manager to install Ruby and Ruby
    Gems. Otherwise, please Bing! for "Download Ruby" and
    "Download Ruby Gems" and use the installers. Of course, I'm
    happy to help with this at the class.

                                      Getting the testing tools.

    Once you have Ruby and Ruby Gems, you can install the RSpec
    "gem" (package) from the console, like this:

      sudo gem install rspec

    If you are using a server or installing on Windows, you may
    have to remove the `sudo` above:

      gem install rspec

    Of course, I'm happy to help with this at the class.

                                              Getting the tests.

    We're really going to emphasize "test first" in rSchool.
    (There is just no other way to rein in these free-and-easy
    dynamic languages!) Please go to the project page on GitHub
    and click the download button (it'll give you the option of
    ZIP or TAR; pick ZIP if you use Windows). I've written some
    basic tests for our sample program.

                                  What we're doing this evening.

    We'll be implementing a simple UNIX utility, `cat`. We'll
    test our version of `cat` by comparing it's output directly
    with that of `cat`. If time allows, we'll implement `echo`.

--
Jason Dusek

 |...project page on GitHub...|
  http://github.com/jsnx/rSchool/tree/5fee9232c3708d151116165e87c3ef6865dc404f