[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge CTF

aestetix aestetix aestetix at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 20:33:40 UTC 2009

Hey,

I know there's been a lot of interest in doing security stuff at
Noisebridge, so let's make it happen. When he was in the US, mcfly
generously a bunch of CTF images from past CCCs (conference in Germany), and
encouraged/challenged us to create our own images and link it between
Noisebridge and German spaces.

For those confused right now, read the wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_the_flag#Computer_security

Rather than taking a classroom approach, I think it's better to jump right
in and try to crack these. Hitting brick walls forces you to think, and I've
found it to be really, really effective in learning how security works.
There are plenty of resources out there, but a good CTF challenge catches
you totally offguard and forces you to be creative. I played a few of the
OCTF challenges at DefCon, they were awesome.

I'm thinking thursday nights (except when I'm doing 5MOF) would be fun. I'm
also thinking that, until Noisebridge moves to a bigger space, this should
be held offsite, maybe at a local cafe or something, so as to give the
existing events breathing room.

What do you guys think? Noisebridge hasn't done a whole lot of direct
security stuff, although specific members have. I think this could be really
fun.

aestetix