[Noisebridge-discuss] Access control survey

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Sun Aug 16 20:42:51 UTC 2009

I need to determine what members want and don't want in an access
control system, which means yet another survey.

Overview: The purpose of the access control system is to keep
crackheads out of the space, and to allow access to the space if no
one is in it.  Because Noisebridge is open to the public, if someone
is in the space then anyone who doesn't sound like a crackhead has a
good chance of getting buzzed in when they call on the intercom.

About The Keys:

[ ] Proximity card technology is nice, because then I don't have to
touch anything to open the door and I can make the cool door humping
motion to open it.

[ ] Proximity/RFID technology scares the crap out of me because then
my ex could stalk me.  I would prefer a contact solution like an
iButton or a smart card.

[ ] Keys are fine.  Why are you making this so complicated?

[ ] Let's just use 99999 keys and have a web server on open wifi that
people can use to open the door.

[ ] I would also like to be able to be able to open the door by
getting my phone near it and having the bluetooth transceiver verify a
key.

[ ] Privacy doesn't concern me personally, and I think it would be
neat if my facebook status (or whatever) was updated when I come and
go from 2169 Mission.

About The Doors:

(The idea is that you would chip in the amount in question to help pay
for the door opener...)

[ ] Having automatic door openers is worth $100 to me.

[ ] Having automatic door openers is worth $50 to me.

[ ] Having automatic door openers is worth $20 to me.

[ ] I can open the damn thing myself for free.  Do I look handicapped to you?

[ ] I actually am handicapped and sort of need automatic door openers.

[ ] I'd pay up to $200 if they look like the holodeck doors from Star
Trek and they make the wooshing sound and have blinking lights and
play my kirk/spock fanfic through a TTS that sounds like Majel
Roddenberry.

About Auditing:

(Auditing being logging of who used the doors at what time)

[ ] I don't trust you or voltron or any member to keep tabs on me,
because all of you creep me right the fuck out.

[ ] I'm fine with auditing to help deal with misplaced property as
long as logs are deleted after, say, 24 hours.

[ ] I'm fine with auditing to help deal with misplaced property, even
if there are cameras involved.

[ ] I'm fine with auditing as long as the systems are open access and
I can see the source code.

[ ] I'm fine with auditing as long as it's opt-in.  The default should
be anonymous access.  If something gets stolen, it's the victim's
fault for being so careless, and expressly disclaiming any safety net
will force people to be careful.

[ ] I'm fine with auditing as long as it's opt-out and I can use a
generic 000000 card which is the same as everyone else's who opted
out.

[ ] Go ahead and log whatever, since I'm already walking by three
cameras anyway if I come on bart, and most of the restaurants have
cameras too.