[Noisebridge-discuss] 1st ASL group meeting next Wednesday @ 8pm (with special bonus)

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Sat Aug 22 03:32:27 UTC 2009

Hi all.

The first meeting of the ASL group will be next Wednesday (Aug 26th) @
8pm in 83c, possibly moving to 2169 depending on crowding / noise /
etc.

If you're interested in learning (or teaching) how to sign, or just
chatting in ASL, come on by.

If you have any ASL related books or other materials you could share,
please bring 'em, or leave 'em in the 83c library stack and let me
know about it.

I recommend first reading this article and practicing each handshape
(e.g. by looking at random things and spelling them out):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_manual_alphabet

Our first lesson will be to ensure everyone has the alphabet memorized
and can spell anything clearly, go over the material covered in my 5
Minutes of Fame talk, and answer any other general questions about ASL
grammar and history.

If you want extra bonus points, I recommend reading this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Sign_Language_grammar - in
particular the section "Handshape", as I will use handshape names when
describing signs.

FIRST MEETING BONUS:  Everyone who participates will get a yummy* cookie!

(Fresh baked even, if someone can confirm for me that 83c's oven works
and has an available cookie sheet.)

- Sai

* Yummyness only guaranteed to meet my own standards. Your mileage may
vary. Supplies limited. No refunds or backsies.