[Noisebridge-discuss] Cat ladder / elevator

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Sun Aug 23 04:12:51 UTC 2009

I'm considering making a cat ladder / elevator. (Here are some:
http://catladder.blogspot.com)

My constraints:
* usable by my relatively stupid and large (~12 lb) Maine Coone ("Ki")
* gets my cat between my bedroom window (~15 ft off ground) and either
the ground below or the wooden fence nearby (~5 ft high, ~8 ft away
from the window wall)
* can't require penetrating walls (against lease)
* doesn't require me to frob it
* safe for my cat
* cheap and easy to make

I've considered basically a few options:

1. simple canvas ramp or tube, hooked to my window and the fence
2. ditto, longer, staked into the ground (and parallel the wall)
3. vertical canvas tube w/ spiral ramp inside, hooked to window
(somewhat like closet hanging racks)
4. (geeky and maybe failure prone) basket "elevator" triggered by
weight in basket after a short time delay (like automated version of
this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_1FknihCNI)

I'm hesitant to try a hard ramp 'cause it'll be a pain to make, and an
open spiral staircase 'cause my cat really is quite stupid (and I
don't know if my woodcrafting abilities are up to it). And I can't do
the simple boards-in-wall stairs design 'cause I can't attach stuff to
the wall (nor do I have a ladder).

Ideas? Anyone done something similar before?

- Sai