[Noisebridge-discuss] Perseid shower?

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 03:43:59 UTC 2009

Well, the perseids isn't the best meteor shower of the year.  Let's
count this as a "trial run" for the Leonids on November 18th.  That's
supposed to be the Best!  (or at least better than years past.)

Hrm.  With due diligence I'm realizing we'd probably want to go out in
the wee hours of the morning.  The peak is actually at 8:00AM.
Personally, I think that's the biggest detractor to this whole thing.
Sure, the moon is up at that time, but so is the sun, which does a
MUCH better job of obscuring meteor showers.

However, if people are still up for a pre-dawn viewing, I'm game.
(Take a nap the night before!)  According to the USNO the moon is
waxing gibbous at 61%, which in the scheme of things isn't the worst
it could be.  Since sunrise is before transit, I'm not too worried
about it either, at least in this part of the world.  Civil twilight
begins at 5:52 (9 minutes after lunar transit), that's when I expect
to be packing up, although I do want to get back to the city well
before 7 to beat the traffic.

Livermore sounds like an excellent idea.  I'm thinking it should be
someplace we can sneak into in the middle of the night, though.  I can
bring my scope in case it gets too dull.  (I have a homemade 4"
dobsonian mount scope made out of PVC.)  We can turn it into some sort
of crazy picnic!  (Not unlike my birthday barbecues in St. Louis,
which I would start at midnight because it was just too damn hot to be
outside any other time.)

Christie

---
 Disrupting paradigms since 1967