[Noisebridge-discuss] Smashing the stack for fun and... education?

Kurt Grutzmacher grutz at jingojango.net
Tue Aug 4 20:23:20 UTC 2009

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Micah Lee<micahflee at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Would anyone be into having a weekly Noisebridge meetup to try to
> > learn more about buffer overflows and writing code to exploit them?

Jon's book is an absolute requirement to begin as it's smartly written, goes
through the
basics and gets you started on the path easily. I've not seen the
LiveCD examples but does it disable all the Ubuntu stack
protections?
When I taught basic overflows I required everyone to use an early FreeBSD VM
as their victim platform. For Windows it was 2000 or XP SP1.
None of these did any real stack protection or extended SEH
allowing for beginners to actually see how easily everything
would work without having to be too dramatic with your shellcoding.
YMMV of course.

Kurt Grutzmacher -=- grutz at jingojango.net