[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge trip to China

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 6 23:27:55 UTC 2009

> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge trip to China
> From: cm.hardware.software.elsewhere at gmail.com
> To: maltman23 at hotmail.com
> CC: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
> Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 02:47:52 -0700
>
> On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 00:20 -0700, Mitch Altman wrote:
> > Several people have contacted me off-list saying that they are
> > interested in a Noisebridge trip to China.
> >

> > The dates aren't set yet, but we will probably leave on 15-September,
> > or so, and then come back about 10 days later.  The dates really
> > depend on Mike, since his time is most limited (and he's the head of
> > the contract manufacturing company).
>
> [...]
>
> > Since there is obviously considerable interest in this trip, I'll
> > create a wiki page for it when I have some time (which may take a few
> > days, as I'm leaving for Vienna in a few hours).
> >

> > Mitch.
>
> Do the Chinese just let you enter the country when you show up, or do
> you need to jump through a lot of hoops at a consulate to get a visa?
>
> Getting a visa (and a valid passport to put it in) might be rather time
> consuming.
>
> What are your experiences with visa for China?
>
> Christoph

You need a visa to enter China.  I've gotten them several times before.  It is easiest to get a tourist visa, which is what everyone will get for this trip.  To get the visa, we'll need exact dates (which we'll get soon).  You can get a visa fairly fast -- as I remember, it took me two day: visit the Chinese consulate with all the paperwork, and the next day to go to the consulate to pick it my passport with the visa pasted in.

http://www.chinaconsulatesf.org/eng/

Mitch.