[Noisebridge-discuss] Electrical team

jim jim at well.com
Sun Aug 9 03:20:04 UTC 2009

   my available time is mainly during week days,
when other people go to their jobs. i get sleepy at
night and have lots of family and other obligations
on weekend days and nights.
   seems to me we should vet each other as to how
to divide the jobs. the primary skills are:
* can use screwdriver
* can do basic arithmetic
* knows what voltage is
* not color-blind
* can bend pipe
   these map to
* demo
* help screw pipe and boxes and such
* pull wire through pipes
* replace receptacles and breakers
* install conduit
* plan circuit branches

   both sub-panels ("breaker cabinets") need work,
the front one a lot. we'll have to buy some new
breakers at some point. mainly the work is to shut
off and then pull out a breaker, unscrew the wires,
then do what needs to be done (varies for each
circuit).

   meter turned on is the same process as getting
the billing going (in NB name).

   verify overhead tracks is a matter mainly of
opening the junction box that feeds the track to
verify that it's feeding 120 VAC, then determining
which rails inside the track are hot, return, and
ground, then verifying that a gizmo plugged in
presents the right voltages to the right pins in
the receptacle.
   probably good to verify the mechanical goodness
of connection between the gizmo and the track.

   evaluate circuits will be a bit of a bitch (no
offense). best way is to turn off all breakers then
turn just one on, follow the pipes, verify voltage,
mark the pipe and devices with the slot number of
the sub-panel, turn the breaker off, turn on the next
breaker and so on.
   as a rule, try to have receptacles on their own
circuits (don't put lights and receptacles on the
same circuit).
   examine each circuit branch to ensure that there
aren't too many receptacles on any one branch.

   move and or add receptacles probably begins with
removing the broken ones and ensuring that power is
delivered to everything. verify hot, return, and
ground. there are some receptacles that should be
replaced. probably best to add pipe runs to the ends
of existing pipes to get power to places we want to
have power.

   raise fixtures above walls is probably no biggie,
with two possible problem areas: the flex that
delivers power to the fixture may droop too much,
and might have to be shortened; the flex between
the light fixture and the switch should be removed
from the switch and connected to a new junction box
above head level that has pipe running down to the
light switch box.

   i don't know what other light switch problems you
might have spotted.

---------ALSO-------------

   get all flex off the walls. flex to and from
ceiling light fixtures is okay (see above).

   remove the two-pole 50 Amp breaker box and pull
the #8 wire out of the 1/2 inch pipe, all the way
back to the sub-panel.

   take all pipe off the non-load bearing walls.

   run more power to the "kitchen" area, probably a
couple more twenties as well as a 220 VAC circuit for
a cooktop (hopefully we won't have to power an oven).
   this will probably be one or two pipe runs across
the ceiling.

   run a dedicated 20 Amp circuit acoss the ceilin to
the new bathroom and install a GFI receptacle.

   if we get an electrical "on demand" water heater,
we'll need to run a dedicated circuit to that.

   at least one receptacle box (against the north wall
in the rear space) is powered by wires that are not
protected. we can see them as we stand nearby in the
room. i'm guessing there are more.