[Noisebridge-discuss] Access control survey

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Mon Aug 17 17:34:11 UTC 2009

Dr. Jesus wrote:
> [X] I'd pay up to $200 if they look like the holodeck doors from Star
> Trek and they make the wooshing sound and have blinking lights

[...]

> [X] I'm fine with auditing as long as the systems are open access and
> I can see the source code.
>
> [X] I'm fine with auditing as long as it's opt-in.  The default should
> be anonymous access.

Rubin suggested a modular system which would enable all of everyone's
proposed electronic access systems; I think we should do this and make
it stupid-simple (as in, the front gate is already wired and done).

Authentication modules can grant access, and see when other modules are
granting access.

If you want to log when your iButton/RFID/USB/bluetooth/etc  key is
used, that is a job for the authentication module which reads it. All
other modules can (if they want) log the event without specific details.

Jeffery suggested a module which would provide a dbus interface. Someone
else wanted PAM. Rubin's solution allows for all of the above.

~leif