[Noisebridge-discuss] membership dues via employer matching funds?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Aug 20 22:40:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 02:03:04PM -0700, Mitch Altman wrote:
> The company they work for offers matching donations to non-profit
> groups that they (the employee) donates to.  This person was wondering
> if the matching funds could be counted towards membership dues.  I was
> thinking that this would be fine, but wanted to ask others' opinions,
> rather than make a unilateral decision (as Treasurer of Noisebridge).

Most company's matching programs will only match tax-deductible
donations.

Membership dues are not a donation, and thus are not tax deductible
(although we are not qualified tax advisors, and you should ask your tax
professional if you have any questions about taxes.)

Ergo, most company's match programs will not match membership dues.
Donations in addition to membership dues are probably able to be
matched.

-andy