[Noisebridge-discuss] [Build] Fauna for 2169

Don French dcfrench at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 20:57:02 UTC 2009

On the other hand there is really no need to kill them.  We could harness
their power in many ways.  Innovative behavioral experiments could be
conceived.   There is much to be learned from rats.

Imagine a floor-to-ceiling, wall-wide Plexiglas-faced maze with
Arduino-based gates and timers and chutes and ladders, all powered by
dynamos turned by our furry friends.  It could be a giant Rube Goldberg
Mousetrap kind of thing except that the rat operates the gizmos rather than
gravity.  And instead of bashing the poor bastard's head in at the end, we
give it a treat and then open the trap door that sends it down a chute to
the alley.  Maybe each rat could be uniquely marked in some automated way
(or photographed) when it enters the maze and detection circuitry could
identify those who return and how well they learn to solve problems built
into the maze.

How about studying rat communication?  Do they have language?  Challenges
for the cunning linguists in the group.

We could lure them into little rat-powered sweepers that move Roomba-like
around the space.  After a certain amount time has passed, the
Arduino-controlled steering mechanism navigates to the alley-chute and sends
the rat bastard on its way.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head but there is no end to the
possibilities. Instead of thinking of them as problems or things to be
killed, let's think of them as opportunities.

-- Don