[Noisebridge-discuss] MakerBot Repaired

Martin Bogomolni martinbogo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 15:41:59 UTC 2009

Jonathan,

The extruder will always drip a bit of plastic after the pinchwheel
turns off.   At 220F, the ABS not only melts, but it also boils.
Also, there's a small amount of air that is present in the ABS coil
material, and it expands under the heat causing a bit more 'dribble'.

This is one of the reasons for the brief 'heat, extrude, remove' cycle
before printing anything.

I've also made a few nice fluorescent build stages out of acrylic
which have a high affinity for ABS at the TechShop which I'll drop off
before I head to Burning Man.   Along with that, I purchased some
fiberglass tape which I'll use to insulate the head completely.   That
will give the head better thermal stability.