[Noisebridge-discuss] [Build] 2169 shrine

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Thu Aug 27 22:05:53 UTC 2009

* Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> [090827 13:47]:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:33:23AM -0700, Rachel McConnell wrote:
> > Lamont Lucas wrote:
> > > As a side note, looking at the Painting wiki page, I'd like it
> > > if we didn't get rid of the shrine, just cause I think those
> > > things are cool and appropriate. If we decide it has to leave
> > > the little nook, I'll happily take it home so he can angrily
> > > watch over my living room.
> >
> > What do people think?  I'd just as soon not have this item around
> > and am happy for Lamont to take it.
>
> I am somewhat in favor of keeping the shrine -- it looks cool and
> pays homage to the historical use of our space -- but I would like
> to learn more about the philosophy and cultural implications of
> this piece of cultural appropriation. While a crucifix might make
> a good coat tree and a menorah could be a jaunty hat rack, I'd be
> disappointed by a decision to use them as such; similarly, if it'd
> be disrespectful for nonbelievers to repurpose the shrine, I'd
> prefer to respectfully remove it than to offend visitors.
>
> Do we have anybody around who can talk about the history, meaning,
> and appropriate use of this kind of shrine?

Personally I'd like for the shrine to remain. I like the idea of
keeping a link to the history of the space, the people who labored
in it, and the history of SF. I also feel Andy brings up some good
points. Should it remain, I feel it would be good to be mindful of
the context in which it does remain (ie, not ignorantly making a
joke out of it).

Also, it doesn't necessarily need to stay in it's current location.
This was relative to how the space was used in the past, and we're
completely re-configuring the layout & use of the space. Might there
be a location more appropriate within the new use/configuration? If
there are some members who feel it's in the way, perhaps that could be
considered alongside it's placement in the space (re-locating it to a
less obtrusive location). Or maybe it could stay right were it is.

In any case, I'm not really qualified to comment on the appropriate
use of this shrine...hopefully someone else can bring more knowledge
and cultural context than what I'm able to glean from Wikipedia:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guan_Yu

(I believe it's a shrine to Guan Yu, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact