[Noisebridge-discuss] [Build] 2169 shrine

Ceren Ercen ceren at magnesium.net
Fri Aug 28 02:01:23 UTC 2009

FWIW, these statues of divinity, godhood, or any celestial aspects of
Buddhist "shrines" can easily be mistaken to mean actual religious
worship. A large chunk of the Confucian and Buddhist schools hold
figures like this simply as archetypes, a concept of human existence
personified, and not as Gods. Al would have to expound on this, but it
need not be a religious totem at all, and honestly, I think it's kinda
neat and speaks to us being from SF.

tl;dr: This "god" isn't necessarily "divine", it's more a focal point to
   illustrate a facet of human existence.

There is such a thing as disrespectful Cultural Appropriation, but the
flexibility inherent in Buddhist historical figures ends up giving us a
character that I find amusingly appropriate to our "be excellent"
philosophy. (There's probably even a different historical figure who's
more appropriate, but, whatev.)

And I wouldn't mind dressing up the shrine with more... uh, relevant
decorations.

It's not like we're all being douchebags and going out and getting
"Noisebridge Rules!" Kanji tattoos.

- Ceren