[Noisebridge-discuss] [Build] 2169 shrine

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Fri Aug 28 07:44:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:40 PM, Jason Dusek<jason.dusek at gmail.com> wrote:
>  This has a fair amount of non-Kanji material in it, though.

Yeah, that's the problem with Japanese... :-P

My Chinese is way too limited and rusted to attempt a translation.

... 是太好了 seems to lack the intended force, though? Less interjection,
more humdrum evaluation.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:46 PM, Colin Bayer<vogon at icculus.org> wrote:
> "Noisebrig is full of fear!"  (lemme guess, you used "Noisebridge is
> awesome" as the original :p)

Guilty as charged, via WWJDIC. :-P

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Jason Dusek<jason.dusek at gmail.com> wrote:
>  This is false dichotomy. We have at least a third option,
>  namely: respect.

True, but...

I think Naomi's suggestion gets to the point of this issue, and is a
nice way to approach it.

If it weren't for the fact that the sweatshop owners happened to be
quasi-religious (or however you want to designate such shrine usage)
Chinese people, would we have this thing in the space?

I suspect the answer is no, and accordingly my opinion is towards
agreeing with Rachel - not because I have anything *against* it per se
- I'm very agnostic and don't really regard any religion's praphenalia
as anything more or less than a sort of anthropological art - but
because I think it's not really relevant to us-as-a-group.

Mind, we don't (currently) decorate the space with stuff that's only
relevant to us-as-individuals (be we sinologists, Christians,
Buddhists, conlangers, psychonauts, pornographers, or whatever that's
tangential to we-as-hackers). We should be consistent in that.

I'm neutral on which way we're consistent. If we keep the current
trend and only have hacker-related décor, fine - and no Chinese gods
really fit that. A hacker shrine, à la the Toorcamp one, would.

If we not, I'd want it to be representative of the absurd amount of
diversity we have. (I'd be happy to contribute one of my conlang flags
as an indefinite "leave it alone please" loan.) I think that such a
tack would just be very difficult to manage; it'd be a lot of stuff,
and on the negative potential side, stuff that's absurd, offensive,
space-filling, religious, or the like. It'd be essentially declaring
NB's walls to be an open gallery for display of members' and friends'
hobbies. *shrug*

OTGH, I <3 serendipity. :)

- Sai