[Noisebridge-discuss] Ham Cram: 1/9 8am at St Mary's (Japantown SF)

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Sun Dec 6 20:30:34 UTC 2009

Another Ham Cram is coming up next month!  January 9th, 8am at St Mary's
Cathedral SF, 1111 Gough.

Would you like to become a licensed amateur radio operator?  Wonder how you
can still be an "amateur" even with a license?  Want in on the licentious
and lavish lifestyle of the ham?

You can become a card-carrying amateur radio operator in a day, like I did!
I know of five other noisebridgers who have done this, and we all passed
with flying colors.  It's kind of a trip, and totally worth doing if you're
interested in getting licensed.  The goal isn't really to get you up on the
ham lingo, jargon, or culture (yes, all three exist), but it does get you
over the pesky FCC licensing hurdle, with gusto.

There's another Ham Cram in the City coming up on 1/9 at 8am:

http://www.baears.com/info.php
<http://wcf.com/aero/exams/poster.htm>
It'll be at St Mary's Cathedral, which is where the current NERT intensive
study sessions are happening.  It's that big crazy-looking church near
Japantown, at 1111 Gough.  They have plenty of parking, but the lunch
options are kind of grim.  Your best bet, in my experience, is to run over
to Japantown's mall.

If this is your first time going, be there on-time!  It's really helpful,
and these things tend to fill up pretty quickly (hams are, as a rule, "get
there early" kinds of people...)

Hope to see some of you next month!

PS: If I don't send a reminder the week before, it's because I'm on a boat,
my friends. Feel free to send another reminder on the 3rd or so if I miss
it.
--
Josh Myer 650.248.3796
josh at joshisanerd.com