[Noisebridge-discuss] The futon is now a bench

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Fri Dec 18 04:14:54 UTC 2009

tl;dr version: Futon was fucked up. Is now a bench. Needs metalworker
to fix the rest.

Details:

Not sure when this happened, but...

The futon was pretty fucked up. One of the hinges was completely shorn
off; the other heavily twisted. And the base was tangled badly with
the rolly piece.

Anyway, I've taken it apart. There are now three parts.

1) the bench - cusion and base
2) the rolly piece - kinda superfluous for just the base, but fully
intact. Standing next to the server rack next to the hack shelf.
3) the top piece - will probably require welding or other metalwork to
reattach to the base piece properly. I don't really know, as that's
beyond my skill level. It's standing next to the boxes of books in the
sewing machine corner, and has the misc pieces removed (some bolts and
a spring) in a bag taped to it.

AFAICT the only damage is to the hinges and their bolts; the rest looks fine.

Someone who's better at this stuff than me, please take a look at the
hinges and decide whether it's worth salvaging. If not, toss the top
piece and the rolly bit, and we'll just use it as a bench. It looks
like a relatively cheaply made thing, so might just not be worth it
financially. Your call.

Thanks,
Sai