[Noisebridge-discuss] lithium-ion battery questions

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Sun Dec 20 02:16:01 UTC 2009

I recently bought a replacement lithium-ion battery for my X40
ThinkPad. The salesperson at Central Computers mentioned I should
charge it to 100% and completely discharge it, cycling twice in this
manner as an initial "breaking in" procedure. Would anyone know if
this is appropriate for a lithium-ion battery? Battery University [1]
recommends against discharging lithium-based batteries too deeply.

Also, there are safety issues with lithium-ion batteries [2], so I'm a
little concerned that I might be taking more of a risk by purchasing a
"no-name" replacement rather than the official Lenova branded battery.

[1] http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-36.htm
[2] http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5B.htm

TIA for any perspective on this,

John