[Noisebridge-discuss] What is a hack? What is hacking? Who are hackers?

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Thu Dec 24 10:49:46 UTC 2009

Hello Noisebridge.

If you're like me not all of your friends are software security freaks.
After talking up Noisebridge with many of these friends, when I explain
that it's a "hacker space" or "hack lab" I typically get asked what
government systems we've hacked into, or which banks we've taken money
from electronically (or some such). Past that general stereo type, many
people relate hacking to computer software and don't see it beyond that,
thanking Noisebridge is nothing more then a computer lab. Eventually
hearing the misuse of hacking gets annoying, obnoxious and old.

About an hour ago a friend asked pretty much that, what computer
software I've hacked. I was about to school her on said term when I
decided that copy and pasting would be much easier. I checked out
Wikipedia but didn't like the results I found, so I created a page on
our wiki...

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Hack

"This page is setup here to help define what "hack" means to the
Noisebridge community and as a general place to link people to when they
ask about the term."

If you're like me, and hacking means much much more then WarGames,
please take a look and fill in some of the blanks with what you think of
the words. Once this page gets filled up a bit more I think it would be
smart to link to it from our vision page.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net