[Noisebridge-discuss] Heating without electricity + watt/hour meter

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Tue Dec 8 23:39:25 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Christie Dudley <longobord at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not to be too disparaging on "bundling up", I'd like to point out that it
> doesn't work for everyone.  Just like negligence in the elevator working and
> other "non-able-bodied" concerns, we're neglecting the health of the
> not-terribly-healthy segment of the noisebridge population by asking this of
> them.
>
> National residential building code says that there has to be a way to keep
> any space above 50 degrees at 3' above floor level. (I'm not sure what
> commercial standards apply)  I don't think it's a waste of noisebridge
> resources to purchase a $3-400 propane heater, a tank and enough propane to
> run it when the temp drops below 50 inside.

And commercial kitchens have to use bleach on all prep surfaces every
night.  Fortunately, we're not a commercial kitchen or a residence, so those
codes don't apply to us.  Whew.

I'm all for being sensitive about people's needs, but I haven't seen anyone
directly complain, "I'm not going to noisebridge to do something awesome
because it's too cold for my ${condition}."  I _have_ noticed people leaving
noisebridge to go out and drink elsewhere, so I'm currently considering the
cold to be a feature, not a bug.

It is just the beginning of winter, but it's also about as cold as SF ever
gets, and has been for a few days now.  The space is unlikely to get any
colder than it is now, and adding curtains and baffling to the
windows/skylights will help retain the heat we have in the space.  If, after
that's done,  the cold is still keeping people from contributing to the
space in a meaningful way, let them speak up and solve the problem.  Until
then, I'm happy to kick in a couple loaner beanies.
--
Josh Myer 650.248.3796
josh at joshisanerd.com