[Noisebridge-discuss] [POTENTIAL DRAMA] What do people think about GW? (was: Re: Google Wave : Invites)

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 22:48:20 UTC 2009

I like the conversational quality of it; in this way it's a vast improvement
over email.

However, it has a ways to go in terms of making it possible to GENERATE work
rather than just talk about it.

E.g. try copying streams of conversation out of it and into something
useful, like, ohh, Google Docs.  Nope!

I wouldn't invest time in collaborating through Google Wave until they make
it less of a silo.

--Naomi

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Glen Jarvis <glen at glenjarvis.com> wrote:

> Here is a cut and paste from a previous email I sent on the subject.
> Forgive the cut-and-paste, but it seems mostly relevant and addresses what
> you're asking:
>
> I think this is where wave is revolutionary. Does anyone else remember the
> Gopher, Archie, Veronica, etc. days?  When we had a text based system
> (gopher was a hierarchy  of text documents that one could navigate)? If one
> wanted a free ware program, we'd go to Archie to get it. If you wanted to
> search for different freeware programs, one would go to Veronica (it's been
> a long time, did I get that backwards)?  Or, if one wanted to get a graphic
> from a usenet group, we would capture the text from the usenet group (the
> uuencoded tagged portion) and then we'd paste the pieces together and
> manually uudecode it to get a graphic. That's a big *big* pain to be able to
> work -- but, that's how everyone worked... we were used to it... until
> something came along... a Mosaic browser... that allowed us to integrate our
> Gopher libraries (gopher://...), with images and files and even this new
> very simple hypertext language (http://...)....
>
> Wave is similar in the fact that it's very rich... it's editable by
> different people at the same time.. it's like one-stop-shopping in a
> communication format similar to how the web was suddenly one-stop-shopping
> for all of these images.  For example, the other day, a coworker, in IRC,
> pasted a link that had his code numbered (too much to paste into IRC). We
> were using two different mediums (external links to web pages, and IRC) to
> communicate. We're accustomed to it, but it's a lot of extra work than being
> able to chat directly in a wave, with text, that both can see edits on, and
> even syntax coloring..... we started using wave.. boom.. one-stop-shopping
> again...
>

> Cheers
>
> Glen
>

> On Dec 10, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Michael Shiloh wrote:
>
> Forgive my ignorance.
>
> I know very little about Google Wave, and I'm really curious: is
> everyone jumping onto it, or do some people have reservations? If so,
> what are they?
>
> Convince me why I'm a fool for not asking Martin for an invite.

Naomi Theora Most
naomi at nthmost.com
+1-415-728-7490

skype: nthmost