[Noisebridge-discuss] Heating without electricity + watt/hour meter

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Fri Dec 11 19:12:28 UTC 2009

Christie Dudley wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance, but it was my understanding that heat pumps worked
> by running coils underground and regulating temperature that way.  I
> don't see how that could possibly work in the city.

heat pumps exploit the existence of temperature difference between two
locations. ground sourced heat pumps are more efficient that air sourced
but that doesn't mean that they can't be more efficient than a resistive
heater... although if the temperature differential is too high, they may
well be worse.