[Noisebridge-discuss] staying warm (was PG&E Bill)

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 04:04:44 UTC 2009

Something that would go a long ways:

Go to the hardware store, get a big roll of heavy duty clear plastic, a
staple gun and some staples.  Cut the plastic to fit, roll the edges a bit
and staple it up. That's all you need to do.

Shrink wrap is a real PITA and although pretty is probably not worth the
effort in our space.  Besides, it's a lot harder to find.  Clear plastic is
only sort of clear, but that's OK.  It passes light, which is what we're
after.  We don't expect picture windows.

Flush with the ceiling under the skylight well would be most heat-effective,
but higher up if you need to work around the sprinklers. By using clear
plastic you should still get some benefit of natural light.

I would also highly recommend stapling (or taping) plastic up over the
entire back row of windows.  They're very thin framed aluminum and most of
them aren't even caulked at all, so covering the entire wall is probably the
best bet.

Preventing the heat from escaping will go a long ways towards improving the
temp in the space.  It doesn't matter that much that the 2nd floor isn't
heated, since our heat won't sink, although we don't get the benefit of
their heat rising.

Christie
---
Why I take the road less traveled?  Oh, that's easy.  I'm claustrophobic.