[Noisebridge-discuss] Full-fashioning & knitting machines.

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Wed Dec 16 22:49:43 UTC 2009

This is at least two machines, the knitter and the linker.  The process
is not (yet, to my knowledge) fully automatable, as a human has to line
up the knitted pieces and feed them to the linker.  The linker is quite
comparable to a sewing machine, with the differences that the stitch
produced is different, and it can use the yarn that the body of the
sweater is knitted from for a more cohesive whole.

It's possible to get a home knitting machine for a few hundred dollars.
In fact I have one.  I lent to a friend a while ago and kind of lost
track of it but I could probably track it down, bring it in to NB and
demo it if there is interest in the process.  I don't have a linker; for
home use a needle and thread is vastly more cost effective.

Rachel