[Noisebridge-discuss] BART Ad: Jacques Binet

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 08:12:50 UTC 2009

Yeah, I saw this today too.

JB was also a physicist.

t * q - g * j * Z / YC =

time.. grams... YattaCoulombs... it's all kinda meaningless w/o context.

An SFBart blog has a clue to this ad's purveyor:

http://sfbart.posterous.com/

...an ad + marketing agency.  Perhaps they are headhunting.  Or trying to
gain street cred for something silly by throwing it out for math geeks to
compulsively snarl their grey matter over.

My first thought when I saw it was cipher text.  I'm sleepy and done with
this now, though.

--Naomi

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Glen Jarvis <glen at glenjarvis.com> wrote:

> Are the capital letters special matrix symbols? Or, am I making this
> too hard?
>
> Glen
>
> On Dec 16, 2009, at 7:10 PM, Glen Jarvis <glen at glenjarvis.com> wrote:
>
> > There's an ad I've seen a few times now while riding BART. The
> > background is red and the text reads:
> >
> > Jacques Binet could have read this:
> > tq-gj*Z\YC
> >
> > Can you?
> >
> > I realize that Jacques Binet was a number theorist. However, I don't
> > understand the significance.
> >
> > Is a 'think outside the box' riddle, or do I really need a
> > background in number theory to recognize/understand it?
> >

> > Glen

Naomi Theora Most
naomi at nthmost.com
+1-415-728-7490