[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge has a (potentially) newcommunication medium: The Noisebridge ning network!

Ceren Ercen ceren at magnesium.net
Mon Dec 21 01:38:14 UTC 2009

*facepalm*

It's not a marketer. I'm pretty sure a company the size of Ning wouldn't
give a flying fuck about a group the size of Noisebridge, nor would a
savvy one go anywhere near Noisebridge after we pissed up the ass of
Uservoice for lulz when they offered us an account.

The person created this anonymously because taking credit for any of it
would have been dumb. Also because some people like forums better than
email lists.

--- TL;DR warning ---
--- if you don't like anonymity, don't read this next part, it will
bored the shit outta you. ---

To put it simply, there's a nerdy micro culture clash going on here.

Anyone who's had any experience with the local Anonymous/Chanology cell
has familiarity with how an unregulated Ning can work well.
What would have happened if the "owner" ended up shutting the chanology
ning down for lulz? We'd have sucked it up, gone "ha ha, sux to be us",
and moved on. We weren't thrilled about the "owner" concept, but it was
the easiest tool at the time, and it ended up working.

Noisebridge unfortunately isn't really good at being a pure marketplace
of ideas, it's a community built on projects, built on
credit/karma/egos/credibility/history/personalities. Any project that's
started or idea that's floated is IMMEDIATELY judged at least partly on
who's suggesting it. Bleh, but unfortunately true in this crowd.

This unfortunately means Noisebridge will not accept the idea that
someone started the Ning for Noisebridge anonymously just because it
shouldn't have an owner.

(why would one do this? simply because it would be, as Anon calls it,
unforgivable "egofagging" to claim responsibility.)

Anons will get this, but it really looks like those who aren't, won't
ever see it that way. Any attempts to bridge the two aren't working, and
"anonymity" is a incompletely grasped and respected concept.

Hell, I'm egofagging here by claiming to understand the person's
motivations, so shame on me.