[Noisebridge-discuss] What is a hack? What is hacking? Who are hackers?

aestetix aestetix aestetix at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 11:42:45 UTC 2009

Without delving into a huge essay, there are two books I *highly*
recommend on this subject:

"Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution" by Steven Levy
"The Hacker Crackdown" by Bruce Sterling

Levy's book, albeit dated, actually devotes an entire chapter to
trying to define this stuff. Sterling's work covers a lot of the
events from the late 80s to the early 90s, namely Operation Sundevil,
that lead to the formation of the EFF.