[Noisebridge-discuss] Version control

Asheesh Laroia noisebridge at asheesh.org
Sun Feb 1 00:07:27 UTC 2009

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009, Matt Peterson wrote:

> My music files don't change enough to warrant checking in - do you remix most
> of your audio files often?

I see Subversion as an aggressively-caching network filesystem. (That's
how my mom uses it, too.)

I used to use AFS for this, but after years of frustration I realized
Subversion was a better plan.

My music files generally change when I fix historic tag corruption and
then want to push the updates to all my other machines.

(I also use scord <http://scord.sourceforge.net/> to avoid the famous
"text-base penalty.")

> I do find such systems very popular in network and site operations work.
> For example, I tend to setup simple 'poke SNMP, dump to TFTP, push into
> SVN' systems that auto-fro-magically keep track of router
> configurations, load balancers and other bits that get twiddled.

The Debian tool etckeeper is kind of like that, and is really rather neat.

-- Asheesh.

--
Q:	What do you call a half-dozen Indians with Asian flu?
A:	Six sick Sikhs (sic).