[Noisebridge-discuss] bio-hacking and you

Praveen Sinha dmhomee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 08:20:42 UTC 2009

Hey guys,

I know that we've discussed this a bit before, but after talking to
couple of  people around noisebridge and the diybio group, I wanted to
kick off some discussions on bio hacking at NB.

Bio hacking is a huge huge space and it's tough to compress down the
directions to go in, but broadly could touch upon things like:

   - diy genome/protein/metabolic research
   - synthetic biology:  creating your own organisms
   - biomedical hacking:  this is one area that is of great personal
interest to me.  In particular, I'm interested in how the hacker
spirit can bring down the cost and availability of what otherwise
would be very expensive treatments and medical technology, and get our
brains doing useful stuff for people that really need it.
   - Other fun stuff like neurohacking

So.. One of the members of the bay area DIY Bio meetup just emailed me
and is wanting to host the next meetup at NB -- I will send an email
out to the list when this is confirmed.

However, I'd like to try to make a bio group an ongoing weekly or
bi-weekly thing.  In particular, I think taking the path of synthetic
biology and diy genetic engineering is an educational and doable
path...  I'm thinking of basically starting off with a series of
sessions to get people trained on the basics of how the genome works,
how current principles of cloning and assaying work, and then
basically build up to the steps of actually doing some useful bio work
-- would this be a format that people are interested in?  Let me know
and I'll try to whip up a formal date and time, but will definitely
try to keep a monthly meetup going on.

Cheers,
Praveen