[Noisebridge-discuss] dreamweaver on older macbook hangs, then prevents shutdown

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 22:02:10 UTC 2009

i'm a linux guy, but my girlfriend is a mac user (artist, graphic
designer, etc.)

sometimes dreamweaver hangs. sometimes this occurs while pasting text,
sometimes when opening a file, sometimes even while being invoked.

after waiting a long time, she tries to reboot, but shutting down fails
because dreamweaver doesn't respond to the quit command. force quit
(command-option-escape) sometimes doesn't respond (at least in the
seemingly long time we waited) either.

so i'm trying to understand this from a linux perspective. i'm guessing
that dreamweaver is hanging because it can't get enough memory, and i'm
guessing it's asking for a lot of memory because it's trying to open a
file that may be corrupted or otherwise much larger than it should be.
all of our dreamweaver files are pretty trivial: a page of text, a
couple of small pictures.

if i were on linux, i'd ask what files is dreamweaver trying to open
before i even tell it to open a file. for instance, if openoffice was
killed and left a damaged file, the next time openoffice is invoked it
will try to repair the damaged file, whether that's the file that is
opened or not. does dreamweaver have such a feature? does it always try
to open the last file? most importantly, where does it store this
information? is there some way to see what file it's trying to open, so
that we can inspect that file to see if it's much bigger than it should be?

if i were on linux, i might do a find of all dreamweaver files, looking
for one that is much bigger than the others.

if i were on linux, i'd run "top" to see how much cpu time and memory
dreamweaver is consuming.

if i were on linux, i'd not be using dreamweaver in the first place.

perhaps dreamweaver is not the problem, but only the program that
triggers it.

any suggestions?

computer is a powerbook g3 with 512 mBytes. (don't tell my girlfriend i
told you - she's ashamed of her prehistoric computer. we're going to
donate it to the computer history museum once we get rich teaching inner
city kids how to make LEDs blink.)