[Noisebridge-discuss] [PYCLASS] Mon Feb 23 6:30 PM: Chapter 14

Asheesh Laroia noisebridge at asheesh.org
Mon Feb 23 00:38:09 UTC 2009

(Thanks to the new folks who joined a few weeks ago; it's great to have new
people around!)

WHERE: Noisebridge (83C Weise St, near 16th & Mission BART)
<http://noisebridge.net>
WHEN:  Mon Feb 23 6:30 PM
WHAT:  Community Python learning session: Chapter 14

TEXTBOOK INFO: http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkpython.html
TEXTBOOK CHAP: http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/book015.html

This week, we look at FILES! You can read data from them, and you can even
write to them. WOW!

We also learn about exceptions, somewhat-efficient databases, pipes, and
pickling. Pickling and pipes are two of my favorite things.

Exercise 7.3 in the chapter is fairly difficult, be warned! But the solution is
very interesting.

IF YOU ARE NEW

Remember that the point of the class is to help you answer questions you have.
To that end, *read Chapter 14* so that you can make sense of the general class
discussion.

In addition, work forward in the text starting with chapter 1. I *urge* you to
send me your exercises for any chapters; I can provide good feedback. Focus on
the exercises for Chapter 14 so that we can have a coherent conversation in
class, and feel free to ask me questions about earlier material.

WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT?

A bunch of SF-LUG people have been learning an introduction to programming, and
I've been facilitating.  My expectation is to have a fun conversation with
people who have mostly read the chapter, and some of whom (hopefully all!) have
done the chapter's exercises.

WHAT'S THE LOCATION?

Noisebridge is a "hacker space" where people gather to discuss technology
and art or build things.  It's a member-supported non-profit, and I think
you'll think it's pretty cool.  Read https://www.noisebridge.net/.

KEEP TALKING

I invite you to email me your answers to the exercises, or to discuss on the
sf-lug list (since that's where this all started).

See some of you there!

-- Asheesh.

--
You single-handedly fought your way into this hopeless mess.