[Noisebridge-discuss] HackerDojo: new hacker space forming in South Bay

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 25 00:21:10 UTC 2009

I just found out about HackerDojo, a new hacker space forming down the peninsula from Noisebridge.  I know David, one of the people helping to start it, and he signed me up for their email list, which is a google group (called "hackerdojo"), so you can sign up for it, if you're interested.  Below is the posting I received.

Folks,

Hello! Many of you have been curious as to the state of the Hacker
Dojo. All of you have expressed interest and enthusiasm in supporting
the community center - whether as a significant financial sponsor, a
volunteer, an event host, or just as a participant/observer. And all
of these roles are critical to the success of the project.

Tom Harrison and I are looking at some potential spaces on Thursday
afternoon with a realtor. We're currently exploring spaces with
approximately 2500 square feet, of a quality level about halfway
between a warehouse and formal office space. We're expecting under $1/
square foot a month and a 12-18 month lease term.

And prices have been doing some unbelievable things. Even in the last
month, warehouse space has gone from $1/square foot to $0.50/square
foot.

I mean, check this place out - it's further north than I'm seriously
looking at, but it is 4200 square feet, <$2500/mo, 60 parking spaces
and a rollup door. Insane.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/off/1047603299.html

Anyhow, feel free to invite others to this list if you think they'd be
interested in contributing, and don't forget to point people to the
wiki at HackerDojo.com (NEW!) to register their interest and how much
they could chip in.

I'm also in talks with an undisclosed local Bay Area investor who
would be interested in using the space to help startup entrepreneurs
get their ideas coded up and to get started on the path of building a
company. Let me know what you think about this!

Cheers,
 David