[Noisebridge-discuss] Talk at BIL Conference about hacker spaces!

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 5 22:16:45 UTC 2009

Hey Rion,

Thanks for the intro.  And welcome to Noisebridge!

I think 12:40p is an OK enough time.  Thanks!  Now all I have to do is prepare the talk (for which others will be joining me).

See you Saturday.

Cheers,
Mitch.

------------------> CC: maltman23 at hotmail.com; rachel at xtreme.com> From: rion at cs.stanford.edu> To: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Talk at BIL Conference about hacker spaces!> Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 01:03:50 -0800> > Hey noisy bridgers,> > My name's Rion -- I came by Noisebridge for the first time last week > for a fun Machine Learning night. I'm hoping it'll be the first of > many visits, and inspire me to dust off my soldering iron and learn a > few things about microcontrollers.> > I'm helping plan BIL talks, so I can answer the "when do they kick us > out" question. Unfortunately CSULB can kick us out and lock the doors > of our space at 6pm each day, so we're only officially planning talks > from around 10am to 5 or 5:30pm (with setup starting at 9am).> > The tentative speaker schedule should be posted today (right now Mitch > is tentatively scheduled from 12:40pm - 1:10pm Saturday, let me know > if we're cutting it too close to your planned arrival time!).> > And if anyone ends up with an extra spot or looking for a ride I > highly recommend adding yourself to the carpool list: http://bilconference.pbwiki.com/Carpool-BIL09 > . If you're taking a van and interested in a couple extra awesome > passengers, please let me know!> > --Rion> 650-228-4421> > On Feb 1, 2009, at 5:52 PM, Mitch Altman wrote:> > >> > Anyone going to BIL? I just added a talk proposal about our hacker > > space movement and Hackerspaces.org.> >> > So far, me and Lukas Fittl (an Austrian Metalabber who was at > > Noisebridge briefly yesterday) are psyched to be creating this > > presentation.> >> > If you'll be at BIL, please join me and Lukas in giving our talk! > > We would love the company! Please reply, and let's come up with a > > great presentation.> >> > Here's what I wrote up:> > http://bil.nowgetsocial.com/talk/details/83> > Just in case the link doesn't work, here is the text. I think I can > > change it, if anyone has suggestions:> >> >> >> >> >> > The Hacker Space Movement> >> >> >> >> >> > Hacker spaces have been around for years. But something is afoot! In > > the past several months new hacker spaces have been popping up all > > over our planet -- and established hacker spaces have become way > > more popular. There is even an international organization called > > Hackerspaces.org that exists to promote the continuation and > > formation of hacker spaces everywhere. Coinciding with this > > unprecedented movement is a growing popularity of hacker > > conferences, Maker Faires, Dorkbots, crafting groups, other geeky > > groups. What is going on here? And how can you benefit? Mitch (co- > > founder of Noisebridge, a hacker space in San Francisco) and other > > members of Hackerspaces.org will talk about their experiences and > > outlooks, including how to start your own hacker space where you live.> >> > Proposed By: Mitch Altman> > I bought a plane ticket to go to Long Beach. Unfortunately I don't > > have a lot of time, so I get into Long Beach Airport at 8:28am on > > Saturday, and I leave at 7:45pm on Sunday. I'm sharing a hotel room > > with Lukas. I think it would be fine if others want to share the > > room with us. Let us know.> >> > BTW, airplane tickets are $120 round trip from SFO to Long Beach > > Airport on JetBlue, and BIL is only 4 miles from the airport.> >> > Cheers,> > Mitch._______________________________________________> > Noisebridge-discuss mailing list> > Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net> > https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss>