[Noisebridge-discuss] BART train departure info from the command line

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Feb 9 22:29:50 UTC 2009

John Magolske writes:

> Friday evening at 83c I was puzzling over how to make a shell script
> behave a certain way (it was the eval utility I was overlooking).
>
> At http://bart.gov/wireless/eta.aspx you can select a station from
> a pull-down list to check train departures, but I wanted a way to
> go straight to a station by specifying it on the command-line. For
> example, `bart 16` or `bart sfo` to display real-time departures from
> the 16th/Mission or SF Airport stations. Anyhow, I thought I'd pass
> it along here for any BART traveling command-line aficionados.

It's worth noting that BART has made this information available in XML
form (if you don't mind parsing it), which is probably more reliable
and convenient as an alternative to screen-scraping:

http://www.bart.gov/schedules/developers/etas.aspx

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Wol dir, werlt, daz du bist
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | also freudenriche!