[Noisebridge-discuss] dreamweaver on older macbook hangs, then prevents shutdown

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 23:17:56 UTC 2009

Rubin Abdi wrote:
> On 2009 Feb 11, at 140210, Michael Shiloh wrote:
>> any suggestions?
>

> Have you tried checking the console log?
>
> Applications > Utilities > Console > View > Show Log List > All Messages

great idea! will try.

> If I remember right none of the Adobe applications really dump anything
> into the system wide console log, but it's worth a shot. I would also
> recommend SSHing into the machine and running top to see if anything is
> hogging resources during the crash cluster fuck. You could also start a
> screen session, ssh in and screen -x from remote, then locally through
> screen running Dreamweaver and see if it dumps anything into the shell
> instance.

great ideas as well. i imagine i would have to enable the ssh server
first. probably has some silly name like "share your computer".

As it turns out Macs are more *nix friendly then people like
> to think.

yeah. my experience has been that they are very much like *nix, except
for where they are not. i once spent a couple of weeks trying to figure
out why a shared library didn't work. i had copied it using the command
line "cp", which didn't copy the resource branch.

if i can't trust cp to work as i would expect it, what can i trust?

> There's also the argument that Dreamweaver is a sack of shit that should
> be tied to a cross and burned alive.

yeah, i've heard that too. i'm trying to expose her to nvu, bluefish, et
al. we'll see.