[Noisebridge-discuss] Any experience with DIY iPhone screen repair?

Noah Balmer noahbalmer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 06:52:01 UTC 2009

ifixit.com is a seller of apple parts, and they have fantastic guides to the
disassembly and reassembly of most apple products.  I've not repaired an
iPhone, but I've used their guides when repairing a few laptops.
Here's their guide to replacing the front panel on an iPhone
3g<http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/iPhone-3G-Front-Panel/587/1>.
It doesn't look much trickier than any other phone repair. If you have the
older one you can find the guide and the part by poking around their site.
Supply is occasionally spotty as apple doesn't officially support this kind
of repair.
They sell the part for about 70.
Depending what exactly happened, you may need a new bezel and/or screen too,
but if it's just the front panel it looks like you can save a little cash.
Occasionally other supplier have parts for a hair cheaper but I like to
support these guys because they publish the excellent guides.
Good luck, feel free to drop me an email if you have trouble.
-Noah