[Noisebridge-discuss] FPGA experience/pointers/tips?

Lamont Lucas lamont at cluepon.com
Wed Feb 25 18:28:47 UTC 2009

Christoph Maier wrote:
> AFAIK both the freebie Xilinx ISE and Altera Quartus design tools speak
> both Verilog and VHDL.
> Are there open source compilers without the feature limitations of
> Xilinx's and Altera's free tools?

Check out icarus's iverilog (http://www.icarus.com/eda/verilog/).

I used this to write modules and test them, viewing the waveforms in
gtkwave or just as text, then when I had it right I used the free xilinx
webpack tools to do the pin mapping and final compile.  ($display is
your friend)

AFAIK, none of the major FPGA vendors have an open compiler that will
actually generate the loadable bitstream, but you can at least do your
development on unix in a text environment, then copy the resulting .v
files over for a final compile.