[Noisebridge-discuss] FPGA experience/pointers/tips?

Cristian Ortiz co.ortiz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 23:08:27 UTC 2009

I've used both Spartan 3 boards and Vertex 5, I used the Spartan3 to
implement the MIPS instruction set, then i would write MIPS programs and run
then on the FPGA, was pretty fun project imo. I used the Vertex 5 to do
research on self healing computing, I needed the Vertex 5 because the
Spartan 3 did not support on-the-fly reconfiguration. I used all Xilinx
tools, their IDE and their layout and routeing tools, i forget what theyre
called but the free version was enough to do all of this, i dont remember
running into any feature restrictions. I still have code and configuration
somewhere if you were interested in that.
Also let me know if you start a project with FPGAs, I think they're fun and
would love to help out.

-Cristian.