[Noisebridge-discuss] Internet down

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sat Feb 28 09:43:38 UTC 2009

Encapsulated within <49A3503E.9050505 at xtreme.com> on Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 05:41:18PM -0800, Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com> wrote:
> From: Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com>
> To: Rick Wesson <rick at support-intelligence.com>
> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Internet down
> Cc: Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org>,
> 	noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
> 	<mailto:noisebridge-discuss-request at lists.noisebridge.net?subject=subscribe>
>
> Why should they block port 25?  If it's spam prevention, that's the same
> theory that DRM uses: inconvenience the people who aren't trying to do
> Bad Things, while those who are trying, are able to work around it
> without all that much effort.

Actually, SMTP on TCP port 25 was never really meant for submitting mail
to be sent to be relayed to other hosts on the Internet. It was really
more of a protocol for transferring blobs of mail text from one
mail/SMTP daemon to another.
I believe the idea here was that end-users wouldn't have a stand-alone
computer just for their use - people were connecting to internetworked
hosts via a teletype or similar and composing/sending mail on the same
server that would be relaying it.

Some shops started running their mail services on these ports for
accepting mail from their users, and spam from external unauthorized
sources sorta grew from there.

However there is a proper alternative - the submission protocol. It's
pretty much the same as SMTP, only it *requires* authentication from the
client 'submitting' mail to be relayed. Since it runs on TCP port 587,
it's rarely filtered by ISPs.

Bug your ISP or mail op to run a submission service (TLS encryption on top is a
good idea while you're prodding an admin) -- you'll almost never run
into problems sending mail out from foreign 'net connections while
you're out and about.

Cheers,
jonathan