[Noisebridge-discuss] NSA snooping on all calls, internet, fax and other data *inside* the USA

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 24 21:53:24 UTC 2009

And in the same vein, here's some very disappointing news that our new president sides with the administration of the past eight years about at least one case of spying on US citizens, as well as agreeing with them about immunizing telecommunications companies for spying on US citizens:
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/01/obama-sides-wit.html

Mitch.

-----------------> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 13:15:20 -0700> From: jacob at appelbaum.net> To: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net> Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] NSA snooping on all calls, internet, fax and other data *inside* the USA> > Hi all,> > I'm fairly interested in surveillance and for quite sometime, I felt> like the Bush administration was lying to us about the scope of the> spying. While I had suspected that the NSA listened to everything, I> hadn't even remotely considered that the day after Bush left office an> NSA analyst would speak out.> > Amazingly, this is just what has happened:> http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/01/nsa-whistleblow.html> > If this Ex-NSA analyst is telling the truth, the magnitude of this leak> is not just unbelievable, it's astounding. Imagine the data warehousing> required, the network for transferring data, the computer power required> and the access to various communication facilities around the nation and> the world. This kind of crime cannot happen without massive amounts of> collaboration at the very highest and lowest of levels. It doesn't sound> like AT&T was the odd duck out here.> > To really drive this home, every phone call and everything you've ever> done in the USA was recorded and filtered by the NSA. If you wrote an> email, if you read your email, if you visited cnn.com. If you made a 2> minute phone call to say that you'd be at Noisebridge shortly, that> flagged your call for recording and further analysis because...> "Terrorists make short calls." Everything. Always.> > How's that for a chilling effect on your next phone call or email?> > It really puts Das Leben Des Anderen into perspective in a whole new light:> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405094/> > Welcome to the new world order,> Jake> _______________________________________________> Noisebridge-discuss mailing list> Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net> https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss