[Noisebridge-discuss] Green Cleaning for Noisebridge

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Tue Jan 6 05:02:29 UTC 2009

Hi,

Gina has been working on a green-cleaning approach for our
space at 83c. She's not on the list, so I've forwarded a
message from her below.

Here are a few points that come to mind around the kitchen:

* We have a brush for cleaning dishes, and a separate brush
for cleaning the sink. More bacteria tends to accumulate
in the sink than on dishes, so it's nice to have separate
cleaning utensils for these two uses. They are labeled.

* Also for cleaning dishes are light-duty no-scratch pads
(white), and medium-duty might-scratch pads (purple) for
more aggressive cleaning. These pads don't have a sponge
component, the idea being that sponges tend to provide a
matrix for bio-growth (which we'd like to avoid).

* These items are hanging from hooks above the sink so they
can drip-dry without leaving puddles on the counter-top.

* There's a container of sponges on the counter behind the
sink for cleaning the counter-tops. Please rinse & wring
these after using them so they don't become smelly & gross.

* There are still a few generic yellow/green sponge+abrasive
pads on the counter...could be useful if the purple "might-
scratch" pad proves insufficient for a particularly stubborn
cleaning job. Maybe I should put up a hook for one or two
of those as well...

There is a page on the wiki for cleaning supplies, but it's
from back when we first moved in:

    https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/CleaningSupplies

We can update that page with new information, but I thought
it might be good to get some input from the community first.
I am volunteering to be a point person on this, so if anyone
has comments or suggestions, please chime in!

John

----- Forwarded message from Gina -----

Greetings from Gina.

Green cleaning is underway! Mitch called me to provide green cleaning
services for your new space, as I had done for his business offices in
the past. We agreed I would do initial cleaning, after which someone
else could take over.

Along with weekly "maintenance" cleaning, I'm gradually getting the
last of the built-up soil that was there when you moved in. This makes
weekly cleaning a snap.

COMMUNICATIONS

Thanks for all the suggestions I've gotten. Feedback is always
welcome. We need a place on site where we can post cleaning-related
notes as needed. For now, I'm using a colored folder on the big open
shelf in the kitchen.

WEEKLY AND IN-BETWEEN TASKS

— Due to heavy traffic, you need thorough cleaning once a week.
— Thanks to all who wipe up your spills. This helps prevent pests,
  and reduces time and costs for weekly cleaning.
— Thanks to John for installing hooks at the kitchen sink for
  cleaning tools. There are separate tools for dish, sink and counter
  cleaning. The white pad is light-to-medium duty(won't scratch). The
  purple pad is medium-to-heavy duty (may scratch). Try the white pad
  first. Green pads are for your projects. They are heavy-duty and
  scratch almost everything.
— Extra pads and brushes are in the black crate on the open shelf to
  the right of the stove.
— Please use the cellulose sponges for wiping spills on counter
  tops. These are the ones without scrubbers attached. *Health tip*:
  Daily, disinfect sponges used to wipe kitchen surfaces. Rinse sponges
  in soapy water, then disinfect by placing them *wet* in the microwave
  oven for 2 minutes.

LAUNDRY

Cleaning cloths need to be washed and dried asap, before they mildew.
Or at least before the next cleaning. Once the washer and drier
arrive, I can get a load started when I'm there, then someone needs to
finish them. Maybe members can work out a sign-up schedule for weekly
laundry loads. Thanks, Michael, for doing the wash the first time!

Kitchen and bathroom cloths should be laundered separately, without
synthetic fragrances (I can recommend a few brands). To prevent damage
to newly purchased microfiber cloths:

— No high heat
— No bleach or artificial fragrances
— No fabric softeners or drier sheets
— No other items in the load. Only cleaning cloths.

VACUUM

Thanks to whoever brought the vacuum, and thanks to Andy for getting
filters and an adapter.

A HEPA filter will reduce indoor air pollution, which is important for
all who use the space. (See attached report on hazardous chemicals in
household dust.) I can offer to pick up a HEPA if your vac will take
it, and if the purchase is approved. I sent recommendations to Mitch
in November re shop vacs, attachments, adapters and HEPA filters.

MOP

I recommend switching to a flat-head mop with machine-washable
microfiber pads. This type of mop is used for green cleaning programs
in schools and hospitals. Compared to a string mop:

— More durable. Pads last far longer than string mop heads.
— Lighter-weight and more labor-efficient to use. Requires less time
  and effort.
— Requires less water and chemical use.
— Picks up more soil and germs, especially from a highly textured
  floor like yours.
— Color-coded pads makes it easy to prevent cross-contamination
  between kitchen and bathroom. Use one pad per room. When each pad is
  finished, simply peel it off and toss it in the washer. Your mopping
  water stays clean.

I'm checking into heavy-duty microfiber mops at the janitorial supply
store. I'll let you know the cost. If it's approved by Noisebridge,
I'll be happy to pick up one up with extra pads, and I can be
re-reimbursed.

PESTS

A member saw cockroaches. I've proposed Integrated Pest Management:

— Jay offered to bring in boric acid to apply, a low-toxic substance
  which poisons roaches and ants, not humans if used correctly.
— Important to seal all food, leaving no exposed residues (crumbs
  and spills). All trash and recycling need to be put out each night.
  A vacuum crevice tool should help too.
— If all else fails, cracks and crevices may need to be sealed.
— More safe measures are outlined in the pest booklet hanging by the
  microwave.

ABOUT GREEN CLEANING

I clean for health first, and appearance second.

Features include:

— Castile soap for general cleaning, It's non-toxic, sold as a
  concentrate, is biodegradable and effective in cold water. And
  contains none of the petrochemicals hidden in many "green" cleaners.
— Non-disposable tools, except heavy-duty "disposable" latex gloves,
  which can be used multiple times. And paper products for cleaning
  the one toilet.
— Peroxide, vinegar and alcohol for germs, while I research
  affordable green sanitizing cleaners.
— Cloths instead of sponges. Clean cloths are more sanitary, and
  minimize dulling residues on surfaces. I've left your sponges at
  the sink, but I don't use them for sanitary reasons.
— Kitchen, bathroom and dusting equipment are kept separate to save
  steps and prevent cross-contamination. In the kitchen, tools for
  dishes, sink and other kitchen surfaces are separate too.

Benefits include:

— Saves money and shopping time monthly with concentrated soap and
  low-waste tools.
— Protects air quality, and helps prevent chemical injuries.
— Helps reduce water pollution and solid waste.
— Non-harsh chemicals help prevent damage to surfaces and finishes.
  Surfaces in good condition are faster to clean and harbor fewer germs.

Green claims:

Visit Debra Dadd's website. Debra wrote the books "Home Safe Home",
and more recently, "Really Green", sorting out green product claims.
http://www.dld123.com/debraslist/list.php?topic=Cleaning

----- End forwarded message -----

--
John Magolske