[Noisebridge-discuss] Using Evernote to deal with "objects" of junk on the hack and share shelfs

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Sun Jan 18 08:01:35 UTC 2009

Hi there. I just spent some time setting up a little experiment...

Evernote is a web app that deals with organizing notes. Notes count as
text, photos, videos, "web clips," screen shots, etc. Each note will
remember the date the item was created, modified, and any tags you add
to it. If you provide the thing with an image that contains text,
it'll attempt to do text recognition which can be searchable.

At one of our meetings many moons ago someone (of which I'd really
appreciate if he could come out so I can thank him) brought up that
some other hack lab was attempt to deal with stuff management in their
space with Evernote. I've spent some time here in the space tonight
attempting to see how that system works here.

I created a account with Evernote called Noisebridge, and made some
notes for some objects on the hack shelf. The objects I've put back
onto the shelf are now in a folder or "notebook" called Hack Shelf in
Evernote (through the iPhone client, you can also email it via a
unique email for the account). Some of these objects that I've noticed
have been on the shelf for a long while I've put into a box on the
bottom of the shelf called OUT-BOX, and also in a notebook called Out-
Box. At some point in time when the box gets full, someone can figure
out how to throw out (recycle) its contents, when this happens someone
should also take all the items from the Out-Box notebook and toss it
into the Trash notebook. When something on the hack shelf gets used in
a project, it gets moved to the Projects notebook.

What this allows us is a way to date things and give the ability to
attach notes and a history. If an objects gets dumped into the Out-
Box, then someone still thinks it's worth while to keep they can move
it back and also add in a note under Evernote on why it should be
kept. We can use this to figure out what are the oldest objects on the
shelf.

One of the sad down sides here is that Evernote isn't meant to be used
by a group. To get others to alter and add things within Evernote,
we'll have to share a single login (ask me, I'm not publishing a
password here). I have also made pretty much all the notebooks tied to
the account publicly viewable. Here are the links...

http://www.evernote.com/pub/noisebridge/HackShelf/
http://www.evernote.com/pub/noisebridge/OutBox/
http://www.evernote.com/pub/noisebridge/RecentlyTrashed/
http://www.evernote.com/pub/noisebridge/ShareShelf/

There are a hand full of items now in the Hack Shelf and the Out-Box.
Check it out, give some feed back!

--
Rubin Abdi
Rubin at Starset.net