[Noisebridge-discuss] Version control

Asheesh Laroia noisebridge at asheesh.org
Sat Jan 31 12:06:46 UTC 2009

I could give a version control presentation + hands-on tutorial in the next
couple of weeks. Would people be interested in that?

I've used version control in more than a few circumstances, and I'd like to
compare notes with other veterans and also chat with newbies about what you're
interested in controlling. In particular, I have a saying in this arena (that
happens to be true):

 	My mom uses Subversion.

I am in the process of importing my music into Subversion. My email gets
versioned with git. I have a big ol' general-purpose Subversion repository at
~/svn/ and http://svn.asheesh.org/svn/ , and a bunch of project git
repositories in ~/projects/ and git.asheesh.org. I generally have a lot of
experience with git and Subversion, and a fair amount with Mercurial. (Less
with bzr, and only enough to want to set it on fire with Monotone, and deep
philosophical grievances against Darcs.)

I can even talk coherently about rebase, custom conflict resolution tools for
git, and... other things that if it weren't 2am I could list. (Suggestions
welcome.)

I probably know things other than this basic infrastructure stuff, but I feel
strongly that there's a great need for people to know more about these as well
as to sit down and try them.

-- Asheesh.

--
Keep emotionally active.  Cater to your favorite neurosis.