[Noisebridge-discuss] Payphone! (or: sorry Mike, your awesome lamp is going away)

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 15:50:24 UTC 2009

Very cool!

----------------------> Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 03:20:31 -0800> From: mediapathic at gmail.com> To: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net> Subject: [Noisebridge-discuss] Payphone! (or: sorry Mike, your awesome lamp is going away)> > Seth and I did a bunch more work on the payphone tonight. It is> currently in a partially-assembled state, but when it is all plugged> in and reconnected to the voip box, it is now possible to:> > *Get a dialtone.> > *Dial out (but only 800 numbers, as that is a limitation of the free> voip service. Actual voip service pending/ under negotiations now> should allow non-800 numbers).> > *Have two-way communication with the other party.> > *Hang up! This may not seem exciting to anyone else, but it was> actually one of the more difficult problems we tackled. Trust me, it's> very exciting.> > Our next step, I think, is to put this all together in a way that> doesn't involve a whole lot of alligator clips and hope, put it into> the payphone body, and put that body somewhere.> > So, the questions for The People:> > - I think it's pretty well-established at this point that we want this> inside rather than outside. The most compelling argument for this is> that if we put it outside it _will_ get messed with and probably taken> (either by individuals or TPC) unless we put prohibitively expensive> measures in place. Plus, personally, I think it's more fun to have a> phone we can play with in the space (especially once we have an> asterisk system up and running, see below) without having to go> outside. Dissenting opinions should be aired in this thread.> > - Then the question becomes where to actually put it. My vote is for> one of two places. One is on the wall where the fire extinguisher is> now just to the left of the fishbowl door, but facing to the left,> essentially sitting on the table but mounted to the wall for safety.> The other possibility that just occurred to me is putting it on the> doubleheight shelf just inside the front door, to the right of the> monitor that is there now. It fits nicely there, I think that position> would encourage more immediate attention ("woah, you guys have a> payphone? awesome!" which also leads to the idea of whether or not to> keep all coins deposited as donations...), and as I think about it> more, is the option I like more. This would also be very easy from a> cabling perspective, as we wouldn't have to worry about going past a> doorway.> > The other thing I wanted to bring up here, relatedly, is that I've> never set up an asterisk system, and would very much like to. I'd like> to requisition one of the rack units that came in recently to do so.> Any objections? Also, anyone want to give me any tips? I want to> tackle this untutored at first, but if there are any expensive> mistakes I should avoid I'd appreciate knowing about those in advance.> > I would also here like to solicit wild speculation about wacky things> to do with the asterisk system. We have already considered the> possibility of having a voice that says when you insert a quarter:> "We're sorry, the call you are making requires an additional deposit> of negative twenty-five cents"> > Go!> > --esc> _______________________________________________> Noisebridge-discuss mailing list> Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net> https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss