[Noisebridge-discuss] Servers

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Jan 15 02:08:26 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 05:44:31PM -0800, Charlie Hsu wrote:
> Has anybody done anything with the servers
> yet? If not, I'll scrounge around for some hard drives and memory try to set
> something up later this week. ( Davidfine mentioned you has some, would you
> willing to donate one or two?)

I should write up a summary...

We have a 1U x86 (-64?) running at 83c now, named xen0.

There's a 2U x86 that had FreeBSD installed, but AFAIK nothing happened
past that.  I turned off the machine this week due to the excessive
thermal and fan-noise load.

There's a 2U UltraSPARC that just needs a SCA boot drive installed,
donated from EFF.

And Rubin has a 1U machine that's been sitting around for a few months
with a post-it.

Finally, there are far too many wierd desktop and embedded machines to
count -- a Mac G4, two Sun Blade 100 SPARC workstations, the Jukebox
machine, an embedded MIPS development board, some PXA270 ARM boards for
the blimp, et cetera.  I believe we have a representative of every
interesting processor family produced post-2002, except IA-64 and SH4.
(That is not a challenge.)

We need to address the thermal issue in the machine closet before we
increase the heat load in there.  At least some fans, preferably a cheap
A/C unit and some thermal monitoring.

-andy