[Noisebridge-discuss] Encrypted Backups

Al Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Wed Jul 1 16:40:50 UTC 2009

Caveat: I know how to encrypt a drive and copy data to it already.
Thanks. This is about painfreeness...

Does anyone know of a good drive backup solution, preferably for OS X,
that backups *and* encrypts. I normally use Carbon Copy Cloner (or
Superduper) to automatically back up my main drive to a variety of
portal drives whenever I connect them to my main computer. Some of
these are kept near my desk (as safety backups) and at least one is
squirreled away somewhere and I bring it in once a week.
Unfortunately, I'm not encrypting these drives because neither of
these tools does that.

I don't have anything terribly sensitive on my machine besides tax
returns for a few years and papers to do with my dad's death a few
years ago but I'd like to find a backup solution that did the same
copying but also encrypted the drives. I've thought about trying to
use Truecrypt to encrypt the partition on these drives and then
mounting that to see how well it works but, in my experience,
Truecrypt is some slow ass shit and the idea of transferring 200 GB to
a Truecrypt drive does not fill me with assurance that it will work
well. I've also had stability issues with Truecrypt in the past.

Any suggestions from anyone here?

Al