[Noisebridge-discuss] Ruby or web-based RSS-to-API pinger

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Sun Jul 12 22:01:06 UTC 2009

I'm thinking of writing a simple app that needs to be able to take in
(as close to live as practical) all its users' RSS feeds.

I'd most prefer this to happen via some sort of ping to my server -
i.e. I tell some other service 'hey ping me with the content when this
feed is updated', and then I don't need to know or care about scraping
it etc etc. Even better would be for that to handle ack and retry (so
eg if my server's down, I don't lose content).

Any of you know something like this?

Alternately, do you know some Ruby library that can take as much of
the drudgery as possible out of this for me? Honestly I don't really
want to care about how the RSS-scraping etc works (let alone having to
mirror 'em, track changes, do deep parsing, etc etc), I just want a
stream of the text of my users' posts to then muck with.

Thanks,
- Sai